Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Bowl Cupcakes








Being the huge sports fan that I am, I had to find a fitting way to celebrate the most anticipated football game of the year . . . No really, I don't even know who is playing in the "Big Game," but then again I still believe in my heart that Mike Ditka is still the coach of the Bears. Tim is hanging his head in shame right now. He asks me what I am going to do when our kids really start playing sports. My answer - bake for the team! My mom (who I really wish would come back from Florida NOW!!) mentioned some red velvet cupcakes she made for a dinner with friends the other night, and of course, when you mention food to a pregnant woman it turns into an obsession. So, in the spirit of game day, and to indulge in some much needed culinary therapy, I decided to try out four new cupcake recipes. Unfortunately, there was a tragic overfilling incident and the chocolate cupcakes didn't survive, so we were down to three (gasp) varieties. Tim told me he was offended and this was completely sub-par, but I am holding my head high and bringing them to our neighborhood gathering anyway!! 
I was really excited to try a nifty little trick I read on the cupcakebakeshop blog - using those little white "nut cups" instead of mini muffin papers or mini muffin tins. The upside to the nut cups is that they're sturdy enough to just put on a cookie sheet, no tins needed. A definite bonus when you're baking a bunch, since I only have one mini muffin pan. 
The final result: YUM!! We tried out Banana Cupcakes with Caramel Honey Buttercream, Key Lime Cupcakes with Key Lime Vanilla Buttercream and Lime Sugar and Jelly Donut Cupcakes. The Banana was a huge hit with the girls. The boys preferred the Lime. There wasn't as many of the Jelly Donut ones, so they'll have to wait until the party to try those. Here's a few photos of the cupcakes and the kids enjoying them! Happy Sunday to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright Text